KENYA EXPRESSIVE ARTS HOLIDAY
Join Gloria Simoneaux and Sofia Casas from Harambee Arts
for the experience of a lifetime
August 6-20, 2011
- Roundtrip airfare from Nairobi-Lamu
- Airport transport
- 7 nights at Fatumah Towers (https://www.fatumastower.com/), breakfast and dinner included
- 5 day Expressive Arts Therapy workshop and art materials
- Sunset dhow trip with a barbeque on the beach and local drumming. A dhow is a traditional Arab sailing vessel with one or more lateen sails. They are commonly used along the coasts of the Arabian Peninsula, India, and East Africa. Dhow rides are the ultimate experience on a trip to Lamu and not to be missed!
- Sightseeing and shopping in the historic old town of Lamu. There are no cars on the island and donkeys and dhow are the primary mode of transport.
- 8 nights at the Fairview Garden Hotel (https://www.fairviewkenya.com/). Sumptuous and abundant breakfast included. The hotel has a beautiful gym, swimming pool, garden café and sushi bar.
- Airport transport
- 4 days volunteering with Harambee Arts projects in Nairobi
- One group dinner at a popular local Ethiopian restaurant
- Daily transport to projects and sights
- Sightseeing includes visits to the David Sheldrick animal orphanage
(www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org), the Giraffe Center (www.giraffecenter.org), Maasai market, traditional fabric shopping, National Museum, Kitengela glass factory (www.kitengela-glass.com), Kuona Trust Arts Centre (www.kuonatrust.org), local restaurants to try Kenyan food as well as nightlife dancing to traditional Benga music
OPTIONAL SAFARI in MAASAI MARA (August 21st-23rd)__Additional $1,080
- Roundtrip airfare from Nairobi-Maasai Mara
- National park fees
- 3 days/2 nights lodging in a luxury tent on the river at Mara Intrepids Camp with all meals included (https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g294209-d308159-Reviews-Mara_Intrepids_Club-Masai_Mara_National_Reserve.html)
- Daily game drives to see the Big 5- elephant, lion, rhino, buffalo and leopard. If we’re lucky we’ll also witness the annual wildebeest migration!
- Additional night at the Fairview Hotel in Nairobi
- Transport to and from the airport
Expenses that are NOT included in the trip cost:
- Travel insurance (we recommend Access America: www.accessamerica.com). It’s a very simple and reasonable option.
- Lamu and Nairobi are both extremely low risk areas for malaria. Please check with your doctor for other vaccine recommendations. Yellow fever vaccine is only required if you are traveling from an infected area.
- Visas can be purchased in the Nairobi International Airport ($25) upon arrival.
- All alcoholic beverages, lunch in Lamu, lunch and dinner in Nairobi, daily yoga classes in Lamu ($6 per class/optional), pocket money for (fantastic) shopping, tips (at your discretion).
- Airfare to Nairobi (arriving on the 6th of August)
Because Sofia and Gloria have lived in Kenya for several years, they have strong ties to the medical/dental community. The hospitals in Kenya are also considered regionally excellent.
James Kariuki is director of Arch Treks and Safaris. We have contracted with him to assist with the arrangements for the trip. His package includes medical evacuation for all participants in case of emergency. “Every client that books with us is covered by ARMREF- Flying doctors service. I am a corporate member and the clients are covered for 30 (thirty days) while in Kenya. This insurance deals with aerial and road evacuations only…not medical coverage.”